Here's the steps I took to install a 44-row Mocal cooler into the driver's side fender of my '77 911S. This is still a work in progress, as I have to clean up the intake hole and finish making the fiberglass shrouding for the cooler.

The cutout I made for the Carerra cooler on the passenger side, in the stock location

This is the bracket I fabbed for the driver's side cooler. This necessitated removing the fuel expansion tank. The bracket uses the original bolt hole from the expansion tank.

I welded a small tab to support the cooler. I had to cut off the lowe mounting tab on the other side of the cooler, as there wasn't enough room to fit it in the fender.

Here's the brackets installed without the cooler.

Here's everything bolted in. I used rubber washers between the cooler and the bracket, and rubber-backed washers under all of the fasteners, to eliminate as much vibration as possible. I even isolated the top bracket from the fender with 2 washers.

Here's the lines going into the new cooler.

Here's where I tapped into the lines from the old cooler. I used the outboard line, because it was easier to couple it in with the fittings I had. The line goes from the outboard line, to the left cooler, and back to the right cooler.

A view from the bottom of the cooler.

The initial hole to let air into the cooler. This will be cleaned up and prettied up later.

First I made a cardboard template of the area under the cooler and around the bumper and spoiler.

I use a piece of particle board shelving to lay out the fiberglass. I prepare it by putting on a light coat of car wax as a 'mold release'

Lay out a sheet of fiberglass mat slightly large than the finished design.

Wet it with resin, then add a second sheet, and wet with more resin. I only did 2 layers so the resulting sheet would be pliable.

After the resin has set up (about 10 minutes) gently remove it with a putty knife.

Lay out your template and mark the cut line, and cut with ordinary sharp scissors.

Here's the finished product as viewed from the bottom. I set the piece in place, trimmed to fit, then laid up more patches of mat with it in the car, which makes it fit perfectly, and stiffens it up enough so that it can be removed without deforming. Let it cure sufficiently on the car before removing again!

Another view from the bottom.

A view from the inside.

The cleaned up and trimmed hole. That's a piece of rubber door edge moulding for the edge trim

Last modified